Sunday, June 6, 2010

Black Women Know Technology!

This past Thursday I was contacted by Adrienne Graham of "Views From The Top" - Blog Talk Radio Show to speak as a panelist on the topic of Black Women in Technology. Although I was unable to do the show, having missed the correspondence due to working 30 hours in two days on a huge project for a client, I relish in the idea that I was even considered and a blip on the radar. Take a listen-
Audio: Black Women Know Technology

As described on the radio show website, Views From the Top is a radio show that takes a look at the hard hitting issues affecting women in top corporate positions at the top of their game and in the world of entrepreneurship. Guests share their tips and stories of their ascent to the top. These women take no prisoners, make no excuses and play to win.

The Panelists, digitalsista Shireen Mitchell (www.shireenmitchell.com), and Chris Curtis - Web Business Expert, Internet Marketer, and Radio Personality, presented insight to the many sub issues that affect the larger issue of our presence in the industry.

One highlight is when Chris recalled how she contacted an industry magazine to inquire as to why no women of color were represented in the spread. The response given by the editor implied that they didn't know where to look to find women of color who are experts in the field.

I walked away from this discussion realizing that I'm not doing enough. It's great that I'm a Black Woman in this tech space. How ever I am doing myself and others a disservice by being somewhat shy and not making a large enough foot print in the space. I work my 9 - 5, I do my consulting gigs on the side, but my contribution to bringing the fact that WE are here to the forefront is minimal. I can even honestly say that I haven't given this blog the attention that it needs.

As discussed on the show, if you are a Black Woman in tech, it's our responsibility to make it known that we are here to the many non-profits, development communities geared towards women, etc. Some times talking amongst ourselves isn't enough, especially if we are complaining that there aren't enough of us.

So I'm going to charge myself as well as others like me to step it up. You may be working on a team for a large company or in a management position, you need to make yourself known. I'm going to give my 500% to make my imprint and make myself "undeniably worthy" to anyone who wants to engage me and my expertise. As Shireen says, "We are too busy doing the work, and not looking up."

A big Thank You to Adrienne Graham for bringing this discussion to the table. I am so excited to hear from and learn about the two panelists. Being young in the tech industry, I relish in being able to see seasoned women who look like me, that are knowledgeable about computing and making their imprint, so that others like myself know we have a place in this space and we belong here just as much as anyone else.


Audio: Black Women Know Technology

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. As a teacher in a predominantly white state, I have found that even the schools do not know how to address the issues that you are talking about. I have feverishly tried to voice my concerns that "yes, it is important to teach all students '21st Century Skills', but how can we involve the minority students beyond the smart phones, ipads, etc..."
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete